(1886 to Present)
Philip R. Cousin African Methodist Episcopal Church was organized in the late 1800’s. A parcel of land consisting of 3.25 acres was purchased November 13, 1886, for eighty-five dollars in the name of the African Methodist Episcopal Church of Mandarin, under the auspices of the General Church. W. A. Summerall, H. T. Denson, David Hartley and John Cody served as trustees during the purchase. The deeds were recorded on March 21, 1887. Shortly thereafter, a wooden church was built for worship services and the congregation adopted the name of Mt. Zion African Methodist Episcopal Church of Mandarin.
The Reverend S. T. Tice was appointed as pastor and served through the Annual Conference of 1890. During the following years, other pastors were appointed and served faithfully as the church moved forward. The church has been located at the present site since the land was purchased in 1886.
Until October of 1990, the church was officially known as Mt. Zion African Methodist Episcopal Church. At the Annual Conference, October 1990, Mt. Pleasant African Methodist Episcopal Church of Fruit Cove, Florida, merged with Mt. Zion African Methodist Episcopal Church. Under the leadership of then Presiding Bishop Philip R. Cousin, two congregations were merged to form a more excellent body of God’s Church. Reverend Eugene E. Moseley, Jr. was appointed as pastor. It was decided by the members of the merged church and approved by the Annual Conference that a new name should be given to the church. By approval of the local church and Annual Conference, the church was named, Philip R. Cousin African Methodist Episcopal Church.
At the 127 session of the East Florida Annual Conference, October 2002, a recommendation was made that New Allen Chapel African Methodist Episcopal Church of Bayard, Florida, merge with Philip R. Cousin African Methodist Episcopal Church. Under the leadership of Presiding Bishop John Hurst Adams and with the approval of the Conference, the merger was approved.
Since 1990, many wonderful and exciting things have happened at Philip R. Cousin African Methodist Episcopal Church. As our church continues to expand and grow, under the protection of Almighty God, miracles are happening all around us.
Twenty three years ago, it was difficult for a membership of forty-five people to believe the dream of owing 7.64 acres of land owned by the Catholic Diocese of St. Augustine. They could not begin to imagine building a new worship center on the very same property. To have an outreach ministry springing from our church into nursing homes, community support organizations and prisons was inconceivable. Forming ministries within the local church to transform the hearts and minds of God's people was only a dream. Increased membership was highly unlikely for such a small church with inadequate facilities. But under the protection of Almighty God, all of these things are taking place at Philip R. Cousin African Methodist Episcopal Church. On July 8, 2007 the new Worship Center was dedicated to the glory of God.
These wonderful blessings are happening because a few of God's faithful servants decided to be obedient and go God's Work, God's Way. With God's help we will continue the legacy of obedience that has brought us thus far in kingdom building. As we move forward with expectation and excitement we remain convinced, "Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love Him."
Rev. Roger L. D. Williams, was appointed pastor at the 140 Session of the East Annual Conference on Friday November 6, 2015.